I hate committments. Besides the marriage and baby committment, I really am not a fan of them. However I also have a problem saying no. Last summer I subbed on a softball team in town that some teachers are on. I don't mind subbing because it's not really a committment. This year they called and asked if I wanted to play "for real" this year. I said yes because I can't say no. Before the season even started I was already complaining about having to play every week (p.s. the season goes until like the 2nd week in August...). My skills are minimal. The first week I was 0-3 and we played in the cold and rain, making me enjoy it even less. The second week I called in sick because it was still cold and raining but it ended up being cancelled. Fast forward to this week. I escape the top of the 1st not having to bat (I especially hate batting when there are 2 outs) and took my spot behind the plate as the catcher. I am the catcher because it requires the least amount of skill. Well the 2nd batter fouls the ball off the bat and smacks me right between the eyeballs. Ouch. Much blood follows, accompanied by some choice words and me being shuffled off the field. Now, I've had much experience with broken bones but not broken noses. One of our fans was a nurse and said we should probably go into the ER.
After getting the bleeding to stop and a CT scan it was determined my nose was not broken and nothing else serious was going on. Whew. The good news is that this was the first time I had been to the ER since we have moved out here, which is pretty much a personal record. Charlie was pretty good the whole time too and it defenitely wasn't like going to the ER in Rochester.
I am glad there was nothing broken and managed a horrible headache for the next day. I still have some swelling but didn't even get any bruises. This is weird because I bruise pretty easily. Plus, not going to lie, I kind of wanted a battle scar. Not a broken nose, but at least some sweet discoloration as proof of my misfortune...oh well. I am thankful it was sunny out, which motivated me to put in my contacts so I could wear sunglasses. I believe that a.) my glasses certainly would have broken while the sunglasses didn't and b.) the sunglasses may have saved a broken nose by acting as a little barrier, the ball bounced right off the middle piece.
And no, they don't require face protection in this league....stupid softball. Now accepting excuses toget out of the next 10'ish weeks, or maybe I'll move to right field, which in my opinion is the next easiest position to play.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Haha! I'm not laughing at your pain, but that's a funny story! I'm glad you weren't hurt. :) You'll find that as you get older, saying NO comes much easier...
ReplyDelete