Saturday, March 21, 2015

Lessons with Levi

One of the best parts of being home with the kids is definitely catching those little moments. 95% of what comes out of Levi's mouth is hilarious which makes every conversation interesting. Combine that with his facial expressions and I pretty much crack up over every little thing he does.  Makes it extra hard to discipline him because usually whatever he is doing, although inappropriate, is funny and he KNOWS it.

Recently he has been unbuckling his chest clip in the car seat. Driving with Levi in the back seat can be much more distracting than using a phone while driving.  I was getting really frustrated because there's not much I can do about it when I'm driving besides pull over and that's not something I want to do over and over again. Threatening him with not being able to go anywhere wasn't an option because well....I don't want to/can't sit at home all day long.  

But, I think I found a solution to our little problem! The other day we stopped at the library to drop off a book and we pulled up right next to Officer B, a police officer who I used to work with at the school. I asked him if he had a couple of minutes to talk to a little boy who doesn't like to leave his chest clip buckled. He said of course and walked over and opened Charlie's door to visit with them. When I got back to the car Levi's eyes were HUGE as he shook his head in agreement with everything he said. Officer B was so good with them (poor Charlie was in shock, even though a police officer visited preschool just last week) talking to them about the importance of staying safe in the car and wearing seat belts properly. It was the first time in a long time that Levi was speechless. They of course think that he just came over to check on them. Since then, we haven't had any issues and hopefully that will continue.

I hate that I can never remember the hilarious things he says. It's just so fun watching him because he's so different than Charlie. But here's one I do remember:

--"mama, I bless you'd all over Charlie's sweatshirt"

And his new favorite phrase is: "FINE THEN!" Ohhhh boy....

1 comment:

  1. Having the police officer talk to Levi about car seat safety -- brilliant! A little boy doesn't want to listen to his mama, but of course he'll listen to the policeman. Whatever it takes, right? What a funny kid.

    ReplyDelete