Charlie had his first day of preschool on Tuesday. We were on the fence for a very long time about whether to send him this year or not. Finally (as in mid-August) we decided to send him. I am not stressed about him learning but he can get very awkward in social situations with his peers (but is fine at daycare) so we were hoping this would help him meet more kids his own age. Orientation night did not go well, he got himself so worked up he threw up when we left for the parent meeting. He was also still pretty mad at me for writing his name on the inside of his backpack :)
Since he thrives on routine & structure, we spent a lot of time talking about the schedule of preschool and I know he will like that. He seemed pretty excited for his first day. He even smiled on command for a picture for maybe the first time ever! Levi & I took him in and he was pretty quiet once we got to the school. He was fine until another kid started to cry, then about 3-4 of them lost it. He really wanted Levi & me to stay and play but we left him and he was fine. Mom didn't cry at all - although I got pretty close when the first little boy started crying & set off the chain reaction...I just felt so bad for the little guys, it has to be scary! Even though he has been in daycare since he was 6 months old, this is such a big change. All of a sudden they're in this new vulnerable situation. I know how kids are (of all ages). Will he get picked on? Will he pick on others? Ugh, everything is just too overwhelming but I guess we can't keep them babies forever.
We peeked through the window later & he was running around. One of the helpers said this was probably the roughest first day she's had with so many criers. His teacher Ms. Marina, is a long term sub for the fall. This is her first year teaching so I told her I know how she feels and it will get better! For September I will be dropping him off & picking him up. After that, he will hopefully be riding the bus on his daycare days.
We picked him back up & took him to pizza for lunch. He says he had fun but when I asked him what they did he just kept saying "I don't know." So, I guess we're already in that phase! There are 9 boys & only 3 girls in his class - it seems like he's always been surrounded by all girls so I'm excited for him to have lots of little boys to interact with too. He's already asking to go back so hopefully Friday will be tear free!
Next week he has to bring the snack & I'm going to go in and make applesauce with the kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment