Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The End!

I think its pretty safe to say life has taken a complete turn in the last couple of weeks. First, lets sum up the remainder of the pregnancy since the last post.

Week 39 - We celebrated FFA week, complete with a barnyard! Luckily, we had Presidents Day off, and I took that Friday off as well because I was hosed. At the dr that week, I accepted the fact that I was probably never going to have the baby and we planned on inducing March 1st if there was no baby by then.

Week 40 - My due date came and I had this new attitude of "I can make it 1 more week..." Only 5 days of school, then I'll be done. This positive outlook lasted until 10:30am on Monday morning. At this time I called the clinic and left an embarassingly whiny message about how miserable I was and begging the dr to do something. I also said if there was nothing she could do not to worry about it. Well after giving up hope, she called at 6pm with some great news. Tuesday morning we tried a prostaglandin gel to try and start contractions. The dr said there was a chance I would go into labor so to plan on not returning to work....NOTHING HAPPENED again reaffirming my belief the baby would never come out. We tried again on Thursday morning and surprise surprise, NOTHING HAPPENED! As I was mentally preparing to return back to school, the good dr stopped by and offered to start pitocin to get this baby out because we were a little concerned about a big baby because of the GD and I had some high protein levels the week before as well. She didn't have to twist my arm.

We had to wait a couple of hours to start the pitocin, so that was started at noon. At 12:30, the dr broke my water. Once the contractions started, they were pretty intense (thanks pitocin). They offered the epidural and I was a little overwhelmed and wasn't feeling much but by the time they got there an hour later I was more than ready! After that everything happened really fast and after a whole 12 minutes of pushing, the baby was born at 5:28pm. He was 7lbs 11 oz (I was sure he'd be over 8lbs easy) and 20.5". Like I said, it all went very fast! Epidurals are amazing!

I have been convinced it was a boy since the beginning as I had boy dreams all the time. I had even told the dr if she said it was a girl, I would probably ask her to double check. Well my intuitions were right. Of course, we had a girls name picked out since very early on but had never picked a boys name out. So little baby boy did not have a name until the next morning. Well, actually, Friday morning we decided on Charlie, however, it was Saturday morning as I finally filled out the paperwork that we decided whether he would officially be Charles or Charlie. In the end, we went with Charles Vernon for official things.

First new family picture:


The first thing I noticed was his super long eye lashes. Not that I am biased, but I think he's pretty cute!


We are so lucky to have so many wonderful family and friends and we had LOTS of visitors at the hospital. This is my one of the sweetest pictures ever - of Charlie and Great Grandma Evers.


more later...the boss wants a snack :)

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if you would have a chance to update the blog with the great news! He really is a cutie, and I'm not biased at all. :)

    ReplyDelete