Friday, January 3, 2014

The year of 2013

I'm really lazy so I'm taking out some of the questions that aren't very relevant/important. We lead pretty boring & uninteresting lives....and I'd much rather take a nap :) Maybe later I'll add some pictures or something!

1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before? Ummmm, I made a blurb book from 2012 and I loved it. And then I made it a goal to do 2010 & 2011. Well I haven't gotten them done yet so I'm back to being 3 years behind. Otherwise I can't think of anything in particular, pretty lame I'd say. Did I do anything else new that I'm forgetting? HAHA oh yes, how can I forget my first experience with small town bar BINGO? I didn't win but it was fun and I'm hoping to go again before they're done for the year.

We also took the boys to a gopher football game for the first time. I had one of those moments during the game where life as a family of 4 felt absolutely perfect. It almost made me a little weepy which is not normal. Everyone was happy & having fun and I couldn't help but dream of years to come and all of the adventures we will have.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't remember making any resolutions in particular but I generally just make a goal to "waste less" and it sounds like a good plan for 2014 too. I feel like this is usually pretty successful.

3. Did anyone close to you have a child?
Yes! We had so many family & friends have babies this year. At one point we knew at least 15 people having babies in a couple of months time. Some of my friends have been waiting for a long time to have a baby & I was so happy for them to finally bring their babies home!! We also had several cousins have babies & of course we can't forget Cousin Haiden born in May!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Betty. She was always like another grandma to me growing up.

5. Where did you travel?
Sadly, I think the only place I really went was to Green Bay when we were offered last minute tickets to the Vikings/Packers game (& after accepting realized the game was in WI & not in MN). Other than that, we made lots of 3 hour trips to the Red Farm & that was the extent of my traveling. Stayed very close home this year & I'm 100% ok with that.  Of course Erik had his usual travel schedule and saw a lot of MN, SD & ND. Plus he also had trips to Savannah and...I don't remember but I'm sure he went to some other cool places too.

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
More self-control!!

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory?
2/28 - Levi's 1st Birthday (& really Charlie's 3rd bday on 2/25 too) because something about the milestone of that 1st birthday & the accomplishment of everyone surviving is so great
5/20 - Our nephews birthday
September (day?) - Charlie's first day of preschool

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I really can't think of anything to put here...hmmm.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I started a new job in January as executive director at a non-profit and I was really excited about. It turned out to not be a good fit for me for several reasons. I'm not sure it counts as a failure but I really thought I would enjoy it more than I did. I ended up resigning in November & started a new job as the secretary for ECFE & preschool and I can actually say that I love it...and I'm not lying :)

Also, the herb garden was a total bust. Lol. Better luck next year.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? No, Levi had an overnight stay in the hospital in January & both boys had various colds/viruses for a majority of September & October.

11. What was the best thing you bought? I bought a North Face jacket with my birthday money last winter. I love it, it's nice and warm! Other than that I can't think of much. We did get a new laptop, but it's nothing fancy and I kind of despise Windows 8.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Charlie! 95% of the time he is the most pleasant and well-mannered little boy. I am always so proud of the way he behaves. Of course the other 5% is absolutely awful but those moments are pretty few and far between. He had a big year of transitions starting school and adjusted really well. He is such a great big brother to Levi and is so helpful.

I also have to say Erik. He is the best husband and father and I'm so proud of him & appreciate him so much! He works so hard & is so good at what he does.  Even though his travel schedule can be hectic at times he makes up for it when he's home. He is (&always has been) so helpful around the house too and is always willing to jump on board and help me with some of my crazy ideas and projects. Finally, he has been such a rockstar and lost 25 pounds towards the end of the year. 

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
There are some relatives who I feel behave in a less than desirable fashion but it's also none of my business...I just hope that someday my siblings behavior don't cause me to feel appalled & depressed. :)

Most of the families that I worked with at my former job were excellent & wonderful people. But there were a select few that I just wanted to shake some sense into. 

14. Where did most of your money go? Mortgage

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Haiden was born on a Monday and I had decided I could wait to meet him that weekend when we would be down for a  wedding. Well, apparently I am not rational when it comes to babies because we ended up driving down to Rochester on Tuesday to see them in the hospital.

I also got really, really excited about Erik being asked to attend/work at a function in a very WARM location this winter & me being able to go with!

I also got really excited about some of the craft projects I made this year including my Santa aprons, advent calendars, and some other handmade Christmas gifts. I think it would be sew fun (see what I did there?) to find a way to sell some of these items next year.

16. What song will always remind you of 2013? Away in a Manger. haha, oh and "Beer Money" because it's Charlie's favorite song & I don't think I'll forget the day in church when he kept blurting out "I got a little bit offfff beeeeeerrrr money!"

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a.) Happier - we've settled into a nice routine as a family of 4 and it's awesome.
b.) A little less fat
c.) I would say that after me not working full time for a year we probably have less money

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Taken more pictures. When looking through pictures from the year there are some months where I maybe got the big camera out a couple of times. I guess that means we were living in the moment but I would like to actually take nice pictures more often.  Similar to this, I wish I would have done a better job of going through pictures as I put them on my computer to delete the not as good ones right away. And even though I took a class on how to use my DSLR camera after I got it, I'd still like to take more time to practice & not always rely on the automatic setting.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I would have watched less worthless TV during nap time.  There is absolutely nothing on TV during this time that is worth me wasting time watching. But still, I would watch it anyways. My time would have been much better spent doing something semi-productive which could have even included taking a nap. Yes, worthless TV & Candy Crush is not a great use of nap time. 

Also thinking/worrying & over analyzing everything all of the time.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Since that is also my birthday, I got a birthday party on my actual birthday just like every other year :) This year we did our little family Christmas right away in the morning & then went to Kathy's for Christmas. It is nice not ever having to work on my birthday though.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
My list of "must watch" shows is pretty much null now since we cancelled our directv & DVR over 1.5 years ago. There are so many things on between the 7-8pm hour that I'm sure I would really be into, but that's when we're a tad busy with bedtime so I just haven't gotten into anything. We used to be pretty loyal Biggest Loser fans but it's so boring & show to watch much of the time now because it's the same thing over & over again (& packed full of annoying product endorsements). Also, totally over Grey's.  I guess my favorite shows are probably Parenthood and Law & Order: SVU. I also like the Amazing Race (but it's on at 7pm) & during the summer I enjoyed watching Master Chef.

24. What was the best book you read? 
I actually did quite a bit of reading in the first part of the year. And they weren't books that were part of a series either (a majority of my reading in recent years has been Stephanie Plum series, Twilight & Hunger Games). I think I'm more of a cold weather reader. I also figured out that you can lend books on a kindle from the library. Too bad our library doesn't have a huge selection at this point for e-books.  I don't really recall anything specifically that stands out as the best though. I'd have to go back and look at my list of books.

26. What did you want and get? A new job at the school. I'm so happy it worked out the way it did. I love the flexibility, less driving, not having to supervise people, and being able to spy on Charlie occasionally during preschool! Plus it's fun to pick up on more parenting tricks & just listen to all of the little kids playing & learning.

27. What did you want and not get? a new house. hey, a girl can dream. I wanted a Kindle Fire and even had it all ready to order using Christmas money before Christmas. (Spoiler alert: may have ordered one today :) )

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
The only thing I saw in the theater this year (I think) was Catching Fire. And I liked it. We rarely even rented movies this year and I'm quite sure all of them were not good anyways. Oh wait, I did take Charlie to see Arthur Christmas in December - they do free kids movies 1  Saturday a month. That was cute & it was Charlie's first time seeing a movie in a theater.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned the big 3-0 on Christmas. See #20 :)

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A couple of really practical suggestions here: shade somewhere in our backyard (the grove of trees does not count) so that we could enjoy being outside more in the summer and not scorch in the sun. Also, winter not lasting until May would have been nice. And for good measure we'll also throw in having more storage area to organize or at least a playroom/second common living space in the house.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
non-existent. The fact that Charlie asks me questions like "Why do you have to wear pants with buttons when you go to work" or just that he asks where we are going if he sees me put on pants with a button says it all.  I can wear jeans at work and when I'm home I'm always in casual gear. The wardrobe could definitely use an upgrade but it is just not something that is a priority or really of any interest to me at all. I don't want to go shopping & I don't want to spend money on clothes for myself!

32. What kept you sane?
My schedule is what keeps me sane. I absolutely love having the opportunity to be at home 2 days during the week and having a job that is flexible for the most part. I love being able to stay home when one of the boys are sick and not having to stress out about missing work, making lesson plans to be gone, having night & overnight events...it's just so awesome to be able to stay home & do what we want when we want! :) Working part time also allows us to have a little bit of space. The boys love their daycare and get lots of social time with their little pals & I get some adult time in a work environment. Also, we are routine people and it definitely keeps us all sane.  Keeping on schedule makes everyone happy & life is just better. 

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I was strangely really into the whole royal baby thing. And even though I haven't' watch her show in forever, I still have Chelsea Handler.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I'd say marriage equality even though it was probably more talked about in 2012 with the marriage amendment that was proposed (& defeated). After it was defeated, you didn't seem to hear much about it anymore.  2013 was a huge year in MN for marriage equality though so I will stick with it!

35. Who did you miss? I don't know. It would be really nice to not live 3 hours away from my family & a lot of friends. I know 3 hours isn't crazy far but still...

36. Who was the best new person you met?
I'm not sure but I did meet some new people this year that I enjoyed getting to know.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
This is a little odd but I really reaffirmed the whole "don't just a book by it's cover"/you never know what's going on in someone else's life in 2013.  Early in the year I attended a workshop titled "Bridges out of Poverty" and it was all about the behaviors that people in generational poverty have and why they have those behaviors. Think of when you see someone that you know has money struggles (for example) and you think "Well how can they have an iphone and yet they can't pay for _____". This workshop helped you work through those thoughts and answered that question. It helped me take a step back and think about these types of things. This might not make any sense but I really enjoyed the workshop.  Also the you never know what's going on in someone's life thing...not everyone is a public/in your face/broadcasting on facebook every detail of their life. I've tried to be a more understanding & compassionate person. I am not a feelings/compassionate type person so I actually have to make an effort to do this. But being aware of other's struggles has helped me be even more grateful for everything I have.

And to end on a lighter note, I also learned that you really need to abide by the amount of cinnamon in recipes. Measure and maybe evenuuse less ..its a very overpowering and kind of gross spice when there's too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment