Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Living life...through your kids

We all know "those parents." The ones who are trying to live out of their childhood dreams through their own kids. The parents who are so obsessed over their kids' lives. The ones who are screaming at their kids during games when they're 10 years old because they traveled with the basketball. As bad as I feel for these poor kids, it is kind of entertaining watching how stupid these parents look. I have nothing against supporting your kids and wanting them to succeed but really, we all know they're trying to make their kids something they were not. Has anyone ever asked these kids if they WANT to do this? Has it ever been an option?

I'm going to bet you can all relate to me and think of "that parent" whether it be sports, 4-H, Scouts, or anything else. However, I have now seen it all! Awhile back, I seen a commercial for a show called Toddlers & Tiaras on TLC. It's a show all about little girls in beauty pageants. I have watched the show a couple of times just out of morbid curiosity and it drives me absolutely nuts (kind of like the Octo-Mom...she drives me crazy but I can't stop listening to her nonsense, but that's another story for another day)

Alright so onto the show. Here's the premise for those of you not lucky enough to have access to this show: Obsessive parents putting their little girls (most featured on the show are younger than 8) on the stage. These girls have an entire entrouge of personal coaches, hair and make-up stylists, family members, etc. Each pagaent is different and there are beauty or natural (only lip gloss allowed in natural). The one I watched last night had a beauty, mardi gras competition and a live doll portion (no swimsuit though). The extremes these people go to are crazy. Fake eyelashes, cavier hair treatments, make-up, manicures, highlights, wigs...nothing is off limits. The best (or worst you be the judge) is when the mothers apply fake tanner to their children. One time there was a mother rubbing down her 2 year old (yes, 2 year old) with self-tanner. Don't worry though, the 2 year old liked it, that's why she screamed the whole time.

But, the highlight of the show is watching these obnoxious parents (note: not just mothers!) when the kids are on the stage. Last night I was laughing my head off as the mother of 4 year old Paige was trying to mock the moves the little princess was supposed be making. She was twirling, waving, dancing and looking like a complete moron in the audience. I wish i could upload video of it. The people in the audience didn't seem shocked because in just moments, their child would come out and they'd be doing the same thing. Then they are back stage to shriek and congratulate their child while saying, "well you could have done better" and then gives her gifts or bribes for doing what she was supposed to do.

In the end, nobody goes home disappointed (except for the parents usually because the "judges messed up") because in most cases everyone wins at least 1 crown. It is beyond me how these little competitors vote for a Miss Congeniality, Miss Personality, etc. I guess by letting everybody win something we are increasing the self-confidence of these girls - which they're going to need because they're going to want to kill their parents by the time they're 15. I must also mention, this contest isn't just for girls, there's little boy beauty contests too!

Anyways, that's my rant. I wish these parents could understand how ridiculous they look and I'm curious to see how much $$$ is spent on wardrobe changes, coaches, stylists, etc. If nothing else, I guess they're stimulating the economy.

Finally, if I ever become one of "those parents" please let me know. :-)

Doesn't she look happy and excited???? http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2009/01/28/dd-goodman30_ph_0499728222.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment