Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mothers Day & the garden

We had a wonderful Mothers Day. Erik got up with the boys & cleaned the kitchen. Like hard core cleaned the kitchen! He also made a fantastic lunch and Grandpa, Grandma & Tracy came over for lunch too. We played outside for awhile & the boys were just in good moods the whole day. 
Cute fingerprint art from daycare
We made 4 of these pots for grandmas . Got the idea on pinterest of course.  They were super cheap to make & turned out cute. Charlie painted the grass, clouds & sun. Erik was in charge of hot gluing the buttons on.

When Levi went down for his nap in the afternoon we decided to try to plant the garden. It's supposed to be hot this week so it will be good growing days. Erik's G & G gave us some tomato & pepper plants so we wanted to get them in the ground too. Erik & Charlie went to get the tiller & Levi & I headed to town to pick up the rest of the plants we needed. 
I fed the boys supper while Erik continued tilling.  Even though it was Mothers Day, I took a turn at using the tiller too ;) We weren't sure how much we would get done since Levi likes to go to bed early and it was already pushing 6pm by this point, but I think the late nap (and it was a 2 nap day!) helped him out quite a bit. We couldn't believe how well he sat and watched. Our special dog even left him alone which helped of course. We planted tomatoes (14...oops, I think I miscounted),  2 rows potatoes, 1.5 rows of onions, 2 rows of green beans, peas, carrots, cucumbers, 3 types of peppers, a little bit of kohlrabi and a couple mounds of pumpkins & squash. Charlie helped put seeds in. He liked covering the rows but he wouldn't stop walking on the rows.  When we were all done we realized we forgot to plant the strawberries  (1st year trying them!) so we still have to find a place to put them. We also wanted to try some herbs this year but I'm thinking I will attempt some sort of pinterest inspired pallet project for that.

That huge brush pile in the back houses millions of rabbits. I'm hoping they don't eat our summer bounty.
Chewing on some onion bulbs
The fields surrounding our place are organic, so the neighbors were spreading their compost/turkey poo all weekend. Our neighbor has a huge garden and they stopped to spread a little organic fertilizer on her garden. Charlie could not handle himself when the "poop wagon" backed up & started spreading so close. [yes, it smells a little but probably not as bad as you think & turkey poo is one of the most nutrient dense fertilizers around]
No block from the sun at this point.


I told Erik that I will now have something to complain about for the next 5 months or so. Just have to remember it's nice having all of this "free" food to eat all winter long to power through all of those nights of canning!

1 comment:

  1. I love the Mother's Day pots you made! We made one, too, but I never thought about writing Tory's name on the pot itself. Very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete