Monday, March 4, 2013

Birthday party!

Another birthday party is in the books! This year we went with a construction theme. We kept things pretty simple but then went all out the cake :) I did make a banner with all of Levi's monthly photos. I like it so I'm just going to leave it up. I printed informal monthly pictures of Charlie that morning but I didn't get a banner made for him. Oh well, he didn't seem to care. 
 
Of course, I found the idea for this cake on pinterest. The boulders are oreo truffles (I will never turn down an excuse to make oreo truffles!). The cake itself was a challenge. My first 2 9x13 cakes broke into pieces when I was taking them out of the pan. Round 2 I used loaf pans & were able to salvage some of the broken ones for some pieces. We tried decorating it after the boys were in bed on Friday night and I was not pleased with the 7-minute frosting or the nasty color we got. I may have gotten a little irrational and cranky about it & ended up taking off the cab piece, scraping off as much of the frosting as I could & then piecing together the leftovers we cut off from the tracks to make a new cab...I threw it back in the freezer and it looked as good as new on Saturday morning. We went with good old store frosting & Erik achieved the perfect Caterpillar color & did the decorating. When all was said and done, I think we had 4 different kinds of cake in there.

Our neighbor has a lot of cake making/decorating supplies so she always lets us use her coloring stuff. She also gave me these little 5" pans to make 2 little cakes & stack them up for Levi.


Gr Grandpa playing happy birthday on the harmonica.

FINALLY, I get cake!
Levi was much more into his little cake than Charlie was.

Somebody does not like to be messy!

Not bothered by a little mess.
Tyler was taking pictures the whole time so there must be a ton on my mom's camera, I will have to get them later. At one point Levi was in his diaper attacking the bulldozer, much to Charlie's dismay.  Everyone was tired at the end of the day. Erik & I are kind of glad their birthdays are so close together so we only have to have 1 party :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed by that cake, wow! Ava's been watching a lot of cake making shows lately, so she would like to hire you to make her birthday cake this summer. :) Sounds like a great party for both boys!!

    ReplyDelete