Saturday, November 18, 2017

Happy Birthday, Waylon!

And just like that, Waylon is 1. We sure did pack a lot into his first year, no wonder I'm so tired! At 1 year, Waylon has 8 teeth, wears size 3 diapers and wears 12 month clothes. The 12-18 month clothes are a little long on him but not terribly big.

Waylee Cakes, as he is affectionately called, started walking before his birthday. He is our earliest walker by quite a bit. He started just taking a few steps but by now, less than a week after his birthday he is practically running! He is also a speed crawler and zooms all over the house. His favorite place to go is behind the couch - he gets back there and goes all of the way around.

He is loving this walking thing and combined with his love of climbing I think he will keep us busy. A couple of weeks ago I was making something at the island with Nora & Levi. They left their stool and chair unattended and before long Waylon had climbed onto the stool and then climbed up on the chair and was standing by the counter. Yikes. Levi was always dragging chairs around to stand on and I think Waylon will be the same. He quickly figured out how to climb the stairs. I'm so glad we don't have stairs right in the living room anymore, we definitely would have needed a gate to keep him off of them. He still likes to dig in the cupboards, too. He climbs on chairs, stools, the bathtub, his car seat and pretty much everything he can. One night he was trying to get a toy in the bottom of a toy basket and he tipped in. HIs little legs were up in the air swinging and he was stuck on his head - we were all laughing at him, poor guy!

His other favorite things are balls. Charlie likes to play fetch with him....but he just loves chasing the ball and throwing it back. He gets so excited. He also likes to drive trucks and skidloaders around and makes noises. I would say he says "mama" but that is his only word so far. Actually, he does like the Tiny Tim song and whenever the kids say "Bubble, bubble..." he will yell "POP!"







He hates getting his diaper changed and staying still. He also dislikes wearing socks and pulls them off the second he gets strapped into his carseat. He made it a whole year in his bucket seat. He's getting heavy in there but it sure is convenient to strap him in and have him contained before chasing down everyone else. He still doesn't mind riding in the Ergo either, but really would just prefer to sit down. Within the last month Nora also potty trained and I forgot how gross it is to take a toddler into public bathrooms with a baby along.

I would say Waylon is also a pickier eater. His favorite foods are French fries, all fruit, cheese, and noodles. Kim always says he's such a good eater but he already sorts out vegetables and doesn't like to eat them (except for corn, he loves that). But if he sees fruit or cheese on the table or on someone else's plate he will freak out until he gets more. Oh M&M's...he also loves them....poor 4th baby. I had been sending frozen milk in a bottle every day to Kim's and right before his birthday we ran out (I get an A+ for planning that perfectly!) and when we were talking about just giving him whole milk at her house, she said she'd been dumping the milk I brought into a sippy cup since school had started. So here we were washing bottles (luckily only 1 a day) unnecessarily. She said she thought we just brought it in a bottle because it was more convenient. Ha! So, just like that we were done with bottles and didn't even know it!

In the last month I think he slept thru the night once....he is tired and goes to bed easily around 8pm. He was back to his old antics of waking up around 10:30 for awhile and then again at 2. But for the most part when Erik is home, I will get up with him once, otherwise one of us will either rock him or give him his pacifier and he will go back to sleep. His morning wake up time is around 6:30-7am. His nap schedule is pretty unreliable, some days he will take a morning nap but it all just depends. If he goes in the car, he will fall asleep.

He is generally pretty happy but I've already seen some pretty typical toddler behavior from him already. When he's grouchy he will throw himself on the floor and have the most dramatic little cry. He wrinkles up his nose and snorts on command, or whenever he seems himself in the mirror or on the camera. He also likes to give hugs and kisses and when he gives me a hug he always holds my pony tail.

Can't believe this little stinker is already a year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment