I wasn't feeling super motivated to do a Day in the Life this time until one morning I was reading my favorite column in the AgriNews written by an Amish lady in Michigan. I am just fascinated by reading about their activities and way of life. And it really is fun to go back and see what we were up to at different times and how quickly life with little ones changes :) This will make it a full cycle of seasons for me! So, here we go again.
![]() |
| My inspiration for this round: The Amish Cook talks about her Christmas festivities. |
Thursday, January 17, 2013
Charlie :: 2 years, almost 11 months
Levi :: 10.5 months
Other fun facts: It is a stay home day for me & Erik is off in the Dakotas (I think he starts in SD and ends up in ND at the end of the day? Funny, because last time I did this he went to ND too).
5:04AM - Phone rings and I see it is the district sub calling system. I forgot to mark today as a "non work day" but I am curious as to who needs a sub. It's 8th grade phy ed. HA - I reject. Go back to sleep.
6:10 - I hear Levi babbling in his crib through the monitor. Then it goes quiet. Ahhh...Charlie should be up any minute
7:30 - Charlie finally wakes up. I got to sleep in (definitions of sleeping in sure do change!). He comes down by himself and is in a decent mood. I get him Cheerios for breakfast.
7:50 - Levi is up so I go up to get him and as I open the door to his room I can tell he has left me a little morning surprise. PEW. Good thing he is so cute & always in such a good mood in the morning!I change his diaper and we go back downstairs. Charlie has relocated the milk & cereal to his little table. Levi takes off to see if Charlie needs any assistance. I grab Levi & feed him. I turn on the news and see that it's supposed to be 40 degrees tomorrow! SURPRISE!! Oh and then a high of -2 on Monday. BOO
8:15 - Charlie FINALLY goes potty after not going since 7pm the night before. He goes up and picks out his clothes & gets dressed but not before having a melt down over not being able to get his socks on.
8:30 - The sock issue really took a toll on Charlie so I put on the Cat in the Hat for him and Levi & I get some breakfast. I get out a frozen pancake & some blueberries for Levi & I warm up a frozen banana chocolate chip muffin for myself along with some OJ since we are now out of milk (and bananas, bread, etc). I also take the time to sweep the floor which looks like it hasn't been done for weeks (reality = tuesday night).
9:00- The boys play with blocks for awhile while I try to figure out what we need for groceries. Mornings are the best time for them to play independently/together by themselves. I run out and start the car & get the dog & cat water and then Levi's clothes changed.
9:30 - We head to town to get groceries, I planned to go Wednesday afternoon but Charlie slept too long and being that it takes a minimum of 45 minutes just of bundling everyone up & drive time there wasn't time before supper. I am assuming Levi will sleep in the car & the roads are a little slick so I just take my time. He does not fall asleep which means he will not be taking a morning nap. Charlie has recently discovered the carts with the disgusting cars on the front and I hate them because a.) they are gross and 2.) hard to steer. I hype up the little carts thinking that he might like that & since the store shouldn't be busy I can handle him. He loves it & we fill his little cart right up. Win for me. When we get back in the car he tells me he needs stuff for his lips because they really hurt.
![]() |
| Sorry about the chapstick, dad! |
10:45 - We are back home & we get the groceries put away. I feed Levi & change his diaper. I start making lunch.
![]() |
| Levi grabbed the piece of paper Charlie has his magnets on & pulled it down. Scared him when the letters scattered :) |
![]() |
| Puzzles! |
12:00 - The boys go back to playing while I clean up from lunch. Levi likes to put things back into containers. Charlie cheers every time he doe it so this riveting game of putting blocks in a container is pretty exciting stuff. Levi also takes the opportunity to explore the kitchen. He has quickly figured out what cabinets, drawers and areas we never baby proofed with Charlie (who never really got into much anyways). I leave him alone since he's entertained until he comes around the island with a cloud of white dust surrounding him. Yup, he's found the baking soda. And he's proud. Sweep the floor again :)
12:30- We head upstairs for nap time. This is usually the trickiest part of the day because Levi crawls around and destroys Charlie's things while I'm trying to read to Charlie. Before we can read books though we have to practice walking & have a dance party!
1:00-- We are done reading so I take Levi downstairs and feed him. He is not interested at all because he's so tired. So I put him in his crib and he is out. As I leave his room I notice Charlie is still up rustling around. Pretty soon he calls me back upstairs to go to the bathroom. Then he settles right down and goes to sleep.
1:30 -- "Me time!" haha. I write up a summary/evaluation for a grant for a project I oversee and start working on 1099 &1096 forms for my counties while watching Grey's Season 8.
2:30 -- Levi is up. Hmm, too soon. We hang out and play, I give him some gold fish & he is still very tired!
3:30 -- Charlie is up and he's also grumpy. We go up to Erik's office so that I can print out the tax forms I was working on. The battery on the computer is shot and it is so annoying hauling up the cords and everything. Levi makes quick work on anything within reach in the office while Charlie digs for crayons. I print some forms, they don't look right and I decide I can't do this now that both kids are up. We go back downstairs & I catch my sock on a trim nail on the bathroom. I try to find the hammer but I can't find it. Charlie saves the day by finding his little hammer and pounding the trim nails back down. We even use a plastic screw driver as a little punch. He makes such a good man of the house when needed. This entertains him for far too long.
4:30 -- Levi is officially a hot mess so I decide to go out on a limb & put him down again. He falls asleep right away. Charlie and I build towers. He puts on the 'x' s on last and then knocks them over.
5:00 -- Levi is back up & he joins us in the tower building but mostly in the tearing down. A skid loader joins the party as well. I start making supper which is just warming up leftovers. When Erik is gone it seems like I make a couple of hotdishes and then we eat the same leftovers all week long. Charlie has tator tot hotdish & Levi and I have broccoli, chicken, green beans & stuffing stuff. We also share another orange (so much fruit from FFA!!) and Levi has some banana.
5:45--supper is over & we go upstairs for baths. I sit on the floor and fold laundry (I guess at some point I also washed 2 loads of clothes?) while they play in the tub. I take Levi out & get him ready for bed and fill the humidifier while Charlie finishes up in the tub without Levi trying to take his spot, take his toys, etc.
![]() |
| swimming/hair washing |
6:45--finally go back downstairs and put on HOTDOG (aka wheel of fortune- one night the puzzle was 'hotdog' and now Charlie always calls it that). We all take our vitamins and I feed Levi one more time & put him to bed while Charlie picks up his toys and plays with his letters by picking them up with a pliers and sticking them to the fridge.
7:15--Set Charlie up with his nebulizer and assist him to make sure he leaves it by his mouth.
7:30--We brush Charlie's teeth & Erik calls so we talk to him for a bit before heading up to bed. We read all 7 books but it goes pretty fast. We have learned our lesson about skipping books or even pages with ridiculous early morning screaming about exactly what we skipped the night before. When I'm reading to him I get a reminder on my phone to find my SS card for tomorrow. Good thing I reminded myself or I would have forgotten resulting in no pay check for me!
![]() |
| The required readings. |
9:00--Feed/Water the dog & cat. I am relieved to see Patty (cat) is in the garage because I haven't seen her all day. Lock them in the garage for the night & they snuggle in together which always makes me laugh. I go to bed & read for a bit before falling asleep.
11:10 -- Charlie is up wanting to go potty. I love how confused he always is as he staggers into the bathroom & then wanders back to bed. Both boys then proceed to bless me by sleeping all night until 7am. YESSSSSS.
Of course there were numerous Charlie meltdowns, periods of double cries & 1,000x of pulling Levi away from somewhere he wasn't supposed to be (mainly, the bathrooms) that aren't mentioned but overall we had a pretty great day!
Check out otherDay in the Life posts with Navigating the Mothership!






























My daughter does the exact same thing in the bathtub... it is so creepy looking when she's half submerged in the water :) Love this update as our kids are almost the same ages. Also, can't believe Levi's getting his molars already, I thought my daughter was early and she got hers at a year. Crazy!
ReplyDeleteI'm the same as you - when my husband's working late or traveling, I always make my favorite hot dish/casserole and eat it for every meal. No point in cooking when it's just us.
ReplyDeleteIt also had me laughing how Charlie wakes up early in the morning to let you know exactly what you did "wrong" the night before. Ha! I can't believe that's the first thing that pops in his head in the mornings. Too funny.
Oh man, I love how upset Charlie was about the "sock issue" because Annie totally does that and it's just absurd.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how upset toddlers get about some things. They just want to be so independent sometimes. And want us to read their minds.
ReplyDeleteHaha! As I finished reading this post I was thinking, "Geez seems like her kids are little angles...such a smooth day, I'm so jealous!" Then I read the part about there being meltdowns and double cries and thought "That's more like it!" LOL!
ReplyDeleteImpressed at sweeping twice in one day. Twice in a week is all I can handle :) (Yeah, I got gross floors!)
ReplyDeleteI love how flexible babies are with feet in the mouth. Cute, cute!
Double cries: AHHHHH that sends my blood pressure through the roof!